I LOVE quinoa (pronounced ‘keen-wah’) as it’s full of protein and important nutrients like magnesium, so I’m always looking for new ways to dress it up. This is a really quick and simple dish to make using store cupboard ingredients – perfect for a weeknight supper!
- 2 chicken breasts
- Cajun spice
- Herbs of your choice (I like rosemary and thyme)
- Lemon juice
- Quinoa (available from all health food stores or the ‘healthy’ section in the supermarket) – about 100g
- ½ bag of spinach
- 1 packet of cherry tomatoes, chopped in half
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- Cajun spices
- 2 tablespoons crème fraiche
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine kernals
- Preheat the oven to 180 or gas mark 5
- Lightly score the chicken. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and coat with the spices and herbs.
- Place on top of foil in a pre heated baking tray and bake for 25 minutes.
- Whilst the chicken is in the oven cook the quinoa according the packet instructions adding the stock cube at the beginning (usually 1 part quinoa to two parts water, bring the boil and simmer for 15 minutes, cover with a lid until all the water has absorbed). When you bring the water to boil add the spinach and tomatoes.
- Once the quinoa is cooked mix in the cajun spices (optional), crème fraiche and toasted seeds. Top with the avocado and serve with the chicken (food ring usage optional – I’m just obsessed with Master Chef at the moment!). Feel free to substitute the veg with whatever you have to hand – I just happened to have spinach and tomatoes in the fridge that day).