Pancake Day is upon us and whilst I heart pancakes I’m not big on wheat or white flour so I’ve been experimenting with different ingredients and tinkering with recipes out there to make the ultimate low carb, wheat and gluten free pancake! Here’s what I came up with – it’s tastes delicious and much better than the regular white flour kind.
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 2 eggs
- Water to get the desired consistency (about 1/4 cup)
- ½ tsp gluten free baking powder (optional)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tblsp agave nectar or honey – optional
- Cinnamon to taste
- 1 tsp gluten free vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 tblsp coconut oil (for cooking)
Mix all the ingredients together and cook as you would other pancakes. I like to use coconut oil to fry them in as it’s so good for you and is better suited to cooking with high temperatures. Flip them when the underside is brown and serve with toppings of your choice (I like berries and bananas).
Serves: Six 4-inch pancakes
Each pancake contains 150 calories, 5 grams of effective carbohydrate and 6.5 grams protein.
Happy Pancake Day everyone!