I love love love pesto and could eat it with just about anything. This dish is bursting with protein, iron and vitamin C and is super quick and easy to make!
- 2-3 tablespoons pesto
- 2-3 chicken breast fillets, cut into bite sized chunks
- 2 red peppers, cut in half
- 1 box of chestnut mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 1 large bag of spinach
- Garlic, chilli, salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon crème fraiche (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C
- Place the peppers on a foiled baking tray skin side up in the over for 20-25 minutes, turning half way through cooking
- Fry the mushrooms in a little oil on a medium – high heat for 3 minutes
- Add the chicken, garlic and chilli (you can use a bottled chilli and garlic sauce for extra ease) and continue to fry until browned
- Once the chicken is brown lower the heat, add the pesto and season accordingly (watch the salt as pesto is quite salty, so you don’t want to overdo this).
- Add the spinach (it will wilt in the pan) and continue until chicken is cooked through (keep an eye on this as it’s really easy to over cook chicken).
- Chop the peppers into bite-sized pieces and add to the chicken. If you are adding the crème fraiche do so now.
- Top with the pine nuts and you’re done!
I usually eat this by itself but if you want a bit more oomph to the dish it works really well with some quinoa.