Smoothies are always more fun in the summer and somehow lose their appeal during the colder weather.
In the Winter I prefer something warm and comforting – usually eggs, oats and healthy pancakes fit the bill here, however I have been experimenting lately with warm smoothies.
This way I can still get all the benefits that a smoothie provides as well as providing some variety to my breakfasts.
Try this warming smoothie to warm you up first thing.
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 200ml almond milk (warmed in a pan)
- 1 scoop chocolate protein protein powder (I like the Sativa shakes in chocolate caramel)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- ½ a ripe, medium sized banana
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Handful spinach/kale
- 20ml cold water
- Heat the almond milk in a pan until warmed through.
- Add the oats, banana, almond butter, chia seeds, flaxseeds, cinnamon and the water and approx. one fifth of the almond milk to your blender/nutribullet. Add in an extra splash of cold water if you think the liquid is too warm (see warning above about hot liquids and blenders makers).
- Blend on high for a minute until smooth.
- Whilst it’s blending, further heat the rest of the almond milk until hot, but not boiling.
- Pour the blended oat mix into your cup, stir in the heated almond milk, mix and serve.