Spring is officially here – whoohoo! Sadly the Winter months can be harsh on your skin, leaving it dry, dull, lacking in lustre and generally just a bit blah.
The skin is the largest organ in the body, and after the liver is the major route of elimination and waste. In order for it to look it’s best we need to ensure we feed it with with the right nutrients and avoid exposure to harsh chemicals and toxins that can damage the delicate skin cells. It has always been said that the skin is a mirror of what is going on inside our bodies, thus, radiant skin is a reflection of healthy, happy cells. It really is a case of the old saying ‘You are what you eat.’
One of the great things about summer is being able to switch to lighter makeup and let you skin breathe a bit. Sadly you usually only feel comfortable doing so if you skin is looking in good shape. So if you feel your skin needs an extra boost just before summer really kicks in, here are some of the best nutrients sources for your skin to help make it glow.
2. Kombucha – high in probiotics that aid digestion which promotes clear skin
3. Sweet potatoes – packed with Vitamin C to help blemishes heal quickly. Vitamin C alsohelps produce collagen which smoothes out wrinkles
4. Arugula – high Vitamin K content helps prevent signs of ageing (spinach and kale too!)
5. Pumpkin seeds – full zinc that helps maintain collagen and promote skin renewal
6. Blueberries – high in antioxidants that protect the skin from damage and help it to look younger
7. Green Tea – antioxidants (namely EGCG) to help boost blood flow and oxygen to the skin
9. Salmon – rich in omega 3’s these help to fight inflammation in the body and thus are especially good at easing inflammatory skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis.
10. Bonus – h20 – keeping hydrated is essential as the skin needs water to retain flexibility. Even being mildly dehydrated can leave the skin looking dull, tired and a little grey!