Phew. That’s a mouthful! But this sweet potato, caramelised onion, spinach and feta fritatta is worth the tongue twister.
This dish came together because a) it’s my favourite item on a brunch menu (well that and poached eggs with avocado) and b) I had about a million eggs in the fridge that needed to be used pronto.
This is why it’s so great – it’s easy to throw together using what ever you have leftover in the fridge, so feel free to experiment with different ingredients or whatever you have to hand on the day.
- 8 large eggs (preferably organic)
- 2 -3 medium sweet potatoes, cubed into 1 inch pieces and cooked (I prefer to roast mine as it intensifies the flavour but these can also be steamed)
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 red onions, sliced
- Two handfuls spinach
- 1 tsp brown sugar (optional)
- Pinch of paprika/cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a deep frying pan cook the onions on a low heat for 20-30 minutes, stirring continuously until soft. Stir in the sugar if using and set aside
- Whisk the eggs with spices and seasoning. Stir in the spinach and fold in the feta
- Add the cooked sweet potatoes and the egg mixture to the pan with the onions and mix to combine
- Cook on a low to medium heat on the stove until the underside is cooked
- Cook the top under the grill until just set
- Top with more feta (optional) and serve with a side salad